Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
90 Hennepin Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55401
2003: Harvard University, PhD in Economics.
1997: University College Dublin, MA in Economics.
1996: University College Dublin, BA in Economics.
2013 –: Senior Research Economist, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
2006-13: Assistant Professor, Stanford University.
2003-06: Assistant Professor, UC-Santa Cruz.
2015 –: Adjunct Professor, University of Minnesota, Department of Economics
2013 –: Faculty Research Fellow, NBER.
2010-11: Fellow, International Economics Section, Princeton University.
2005-06: Visiting Assistant Professor, Harvard University.
- “Pricing-to-Market: Evidence From Plant-Level Prices,” (2013) with Stefanie Haller , Review of Economic Studies, 81 (2), 761-786. Appendix
- “Trade Costs, Asset Market Frictions and Risk Sharing,” (2012), American Economic Review, 102 (6), 2700-2733. Appendix Data and Programs
- “Can Trade Costs Explain Why Exchange Rate Volatility Doesn’t Feed Into Consumer Prices?” (2008), Journal of Monetary Economics, 55 (3), pp.606-628. Data and Programs
- “Specialization, Factor Accumulation and Development,” with Juan Carlos Hallak (2004), Journal of International Economics, 64 (2), 277-302.
- “Education and Growth in the Irish Economy,” with Joseph Durkan and Colm Harmon (1999), in Understanding Ireland’s Economic Growth, Frank Barry, ed. London: Macmillan Press.
- “Exporters and Shocks,” (2017), with Stefanie Haller Appendix
Work in Progress
- “Can Sticky Quantities Explain Exchange Rate Disconnect?” with Yaniv Yedid-Levi and Stefanie Haller.
- “Price Setting in Ireland,” with Stefanie Haller
- “Greenfield Hires,” with Ragnhild Balsvik and Stefanie Haller
- “How Firms Grow,” with Stefanie Haller and Yaniv Yedid-Levi.
Grants and Fellowships
- NSF Grant 0921748: Exchange Rates and Firm Behavior, 2009 — 2016
- NSF Grant 0647850: Trade Costs, Asset Market Frictions and International Macro Puzzles, 2007 — 2013
- UCSC Committee on Research Faculty Research Grant, 2005
- UCSC Division of Social Sciences Faculty Research Grant, 2005
- UCSC Committee on Research Faculty Research Grant, 2004
- UCSC Division of Social Sciences Faculty Research Grant, 2004
- UCSC Committee on Research Faculty Research Grant, 2003
- MacArthur Scholar (Program on Transnational Security)
- 2016: Harvard, Michigan.
- 2015: CREI, Ohio State, Rochester.
- 2014: Wisconsin, University College Dublin, Nottingham University, LSE, University of Warwick.
- 2013: San Francisco Fed.
- 2012: Cornell, Minneapolis Fed, University of Maryland, UBC, Duke.
- 2011: University of Michigan, Yale, NYU, NY Fed, UCSC.
- 2010: Duke, Kansas City Fed, MIT, TCD.
- 2009: UCSC, Penn State, UCLA, FRB.
- 2008: UC-Davis, NYU.
- 2007: USC, UT-Austin, UCSD, UBC.
- 2006: NY Fed, University of Connecticut, Harvard, MIT, IMF, Wisconsin, Dallas Fed, UCSC, Berkeley.
- 2005: Purdue, Harvard, CREI, LSE, TCD, UC-Davis, Boston Fed.
- 2004: Berkeley, USC.
- 2003: San Francisco Fed, USC, Chicago GSB, Boston Fed, NY Fed, World Bank, IIES, Stockholm School of Economics, GWU, USC, University of Houston, Stanford.
- 2002: Boston Fed.
- 2016: SED, NBER Summer Institute (ITI), Canadian Macroeconomics Study Group, Atlanta Workshop on International Economics.
- 2015: SED, NBER Summer Institute (Price Dynamics), Minneapolis Fed Joint Workshop on Nominal Prices and Wages (with the Bank of Canada and Bank of Mexico), NBER-IFM (Fall), NBER-Macroeconomics Within and Across Borders (Fall).
- 2014: NBER Summer Institute (IFM).
- 2013: Dallas Fed and Swiss National Bank Conference on the Effect of Globalization on Market Structure, Industry Evolution and Pricing.
- 2012: AEA, NBER-ITI (Spring).
- 2011: Milton Friedman Institute Price Dynamics Conference.
- 2010: SITE, SED, FRB-Dallas and Vanderbilt Conference on Microeconomic Sources of Real Exchange Rate Behavior, Philadelphia Fed International Trade Workshop.
- 2009: NBER Summer Institute (Price Dynamics).
- 2008: NBER Summer Institute (ME, IFM).
- 2007: Econometric Society Annual Meetings, CEPR Workshop on Global Interdependence, Moscow Conference on Frontiers of Macroeconomics and International Economics, SED, 9th Conference of the ECBCFS Research Network.
- 2006: Econometric Society Annual Meetings, NBER-ITI (Spring), NBER Summer Institute (IFM).
- 2005: NBER-IFM (Spring), NBER-ITI (Spring), WEA Annual Meetings.
- 2004: AEA, SCCIE Annual Conference.
- 2017: Monarch and Hottman, “Reassessing Markups, Competition, andWelfare with Supplier Trade Data for the U.S.,” SCIEA.
- 2016: Ready, Roussanov and Ward, “After the Tide: Commodity Currencies and Global Trade,” Carnegie-Rochester-NYU Conference on Public Policy.
- 2015: Irwin, “Tariff Incidence: Evidence from U.S. Sugar Duties, 1890-1930,” NBER Summer Institute (ITI).
- 2014: Paweenawat and Townsend, “Villages as Small Open Economies,” Cowles Conference on New Perspectives on Macroeconomics, Trade and Development.
- 2012: Amiti, Itskhoki and Konings, “Importers, Exporters and Exchange Rate Disconnect,” EIIT.
- 2011: Feenstra, Obstfeld and Russ, “In Search of the Armington Elasticity,” Cowles Conference on New Perspectives on International Trade, Development and Macroeconomics.
- 2011: Head and Lapham, “The Dynamics of Market Power and International Prices,” Econometric Society Winter Meetings
- 2009: Carvalho and Nechio, “Aggregation and the PPP Puzzle in a Sticky Price Model,” SCIIE Annual Conference
- 2007: Smith and Valderrama, “The Composition of Financial Flows When Emerging Markets Face Financing Constraints,” IMF-Cornell Conference
- 2007: Corsetti, Dedola and Leduc, “Productivity and the Dollar,” SF Fed Pacific Basin Conference
- 2007: Dekle, Eaton and Kortum, “Global Rebalancing With Gravity: Measuring the Burden of Adjustment,” IMF 8th Jacques Polak Annual Research Conference
- 2005: Atkeson and Burstein, “Trade Costs, Pricing to Market and International Relative Prices,” SCCIE Annual Conference
Reviewer for: American Economic Review, AEJ-Applied, AEJ-Macro, Canadian Journal of Economics,Econometrica, Economic Journal, International Economic Review, Journal of Development Economics, Journal of the European Economic Association, Journal of International Economics, Journal of Political Economy, Review of Economic Studies, Review of International Economics, Quarterly Journal of Economics.
Program Committee, Society for Economic Dynamics Annual Meeting, 2010, 2011.
Co-Organizer, SITE Conference on Imperfect International Capital Markets, June 2010, September 2012.
Co-Organizer, SITE Conference on Heterogeneity and Aggregation in Macroeconomics, August 2007, August 2008.
Organizer, SCCIE Workshop on Firms in Emerging Markets, May 2005.
Co-Organizer, SCCIE Workshop on Trade and Finance, May 2004.
Assistant Editor, NBER Macro Annual, 2001, 2002, 2003.